Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My motivation

After writing about how to make running resolutions that stick, I still needed to work out my own. Public commitment to resolutions is yet another way to make them happen, so here's my big one for 2013: running the Chicago Marathon in October. I'm a Chicago native and ran the race twice while living there, so it'll be a return to familiar territory. It's also a return to marathon training after not attacking that distance for a few years.

First race back, with baby Alex!
Why now? My son was born this past October; his dad (David) and I feel that having the marathon as a shared goal the first year of his life is important to us as runners, parents and partners. Running is a big part of both of our lives, and of our relationship--it's how we met. We're convinced that prioritizing running will keep us happy and healthy, and make it possible to take better care of our family. In these early weeks, I'm learning that supporting each other in our training means practically pushing each other out the door to make sure running happens. So far, it both works and is completely worth it.

My #1 fan and motivator
So, David is my #1 motivator, but not the only one. Who else keeps me on track? The runners I coach, for starters. Today on a walk I saw two of the high school runners I assistant coach; both reported on how their off-season running is going before I even asked. For these kids, I imagine I fill a particular role--a coach can be a sort of external "running conscience". Beyond helping them come up with how to train, I keep them on the hook. When you're filling that role for others, you better not cut yourself too much slack.

I'm surrounded by countless other folks who keep me impressed with their running endeavors. Like Noe C.'s ultra running, or Sarah G.'s taking up cross country (always with a smile on her face!) My running community is pretty amazing, and paying attention to other's efforts makes it more likely that I'll meet my own goals. Last summer I also started reading this blog as I figured out whether and how I could run while pregnant. "Hungry runner girl" Janae has been a big source of inspiration, and I can only hope that my training as a new mom can approach what hers looks like so far.

2 comments: